Choosing The Right Rug Sizes
We know it can be overwhelming when it comes to rug shopping. There are so many styles, sizes and choices to make but we think before even considering style, choosing the right rug size is so important. It can make or break your room! We’ve compiled a few tips and suggestions for some of the main rooms in a home to help get you on the right track when it comes to selecting the right rug size.
- Typical rug sizes for living rooms: 8x10, 9x12, 10x14
- Make sure the front feet of your furniture are sitting on the rug, if it’s not, the rug is too small. Your rug should never float in the middle of the room by itself. Think of it as your foundation!
- The rug should have about 6-8 inches on each side of the furniture
- If you have a rug that is too small, and don’t want to ditch it. You can always layer a larger rug underneath. Wool and jute rugs work great under a smaller rug with a pattern.
- When layering rugs, the rug on top should be roughly 6-8 inches smaller than the one underneath. Typically, you’d go the next size down. This is a great option if you’re looking to buy a vintage rug, but don’t have the budget to buy the largest size.
- Typical rug sizes for dining rooms: 6×9, 8×10, 9×12
- Chairs should be sitting on the rug
- Leave at least 1foot of floor around the perimeter of your room
- When deciding whether or not to place a rug under your dining room table in an open concept room, make sure you have enough space between each rug or it will get too busy. If it’s a small space with the dining area and living next to each other, we’d opt out of doing a dining room rug.
- Typical rug sizes for Queen bed (8x10)
- Typical rug sizes for King bed (9x12)
- Make sure you leave about 8 inches from the bedside tables to start of the rug
- Make sure you have at least 1 foot of rug at the end of the bed
Where to place runners & mini rugs
- Kitchen between cabinets & island
- Large bathrooms
- Empty hallways
- In front of kitchen sink
- Small entryway
- Powder room
- Layered on a larger runner